Programmer's Bill of Rights
- Every programmer shall have two monitors: I wish! Then again; I cannot complain as I am one of the lucky few with a 17 inch monitor on my laptop.
- Every programmer shall have a fast PC. It was fast 2 years ago… Having a fast PC is a must though. Waiting wastes the clients time and causes frustration (especially if you're not lucky enough to have a permanent place to make your home so you have toys to play with. Hm... If it was safe to leave anything more valuable than a chewing gum on the desk I could do some Lego NXT coding during lunch :-).
- Every programmer shall have their choice of mouse and keyboard. Compliant! (I buy my own...)
- Every programmer shall have a comfortable chair. Very important in the long run. I seriously hurt my back in the past because of a lousy chair combined with tons of overtime andlittle exercise. A double disk hernia is not fun at all. It took me years of pain & practice to get back in shape.
- Every programmer shall have a fast internet connection: Sharing a 2Mbit line with 60 other people isn't what I would call fast.
- Every programmer shall have quiet working conditions: Impossible with the people I share my office with :-)
One thing is missing from my point of view; Each developer should have access to a whiteboard. Discussing architectures/code/problems on a large whiteboard where persons can erase/add pieces is a lot more productive than scribbling on a piece of paper.