A richer Internet Archive
After winning the latest lawsuits there are several exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. It is great news for all of us, not only the internet archive:
- you can copy old computer games (if the original machine, format or technology is obsolete)
- users of mobile phones can circumvent the technology which makes the phone only work with one network.
- you can copy "dongle protected" software when the dongle has been damaged and a replacement is no longer available.
- educational establishments can "break" digital rights management (DRM) technology for audiovisual works to be used by media studies or film classes
- you can bypass DRM on CDs in order to test and fix DRM technology which might damage your computer
The Register has the details of the lawsuits.